Correction: This article corrects the print edition, which stated that the Auxiliary presented $200 checks to the Himrod Fire Dept. and First Responders. The Auxiliary presented checks of $1,500 to each of the groups.
Members and supporters of the Himrod Fire Department gathered at the firehouse Jan. 20 for the organization’s annual dinner, when volunteer service to the department and community is celebrated.
The evening’s activities were hosted by Chief James Source, assisted by President Lynnette Hoover and Assistant Chief Jared Webster.
Several awards were announced for outstanding service to the fire department, first responders, and auxiliary, including:
• Firefighter of the Year: Steven Hoover and Jason Hoover
• Most training hours: Sheldon Martin (253 hours)
• First Responder Award: Larry Sitzman
• Chief’s Award: Kevin Zimmerman and Sheldon Martin
• Presidential Award: Eugene Nolt
• Special Recognition Awards included:
• The Lucy Covert Award for dedicated service to the community of Himrod: Barb Sorensen
• Devoted Service: Deb Webster, active since 1979; Arnie Sorensen, active since 1977; Andy Siwak, Ben Vedder and Joyce Vedder, all active since 1974.
• D.B. Miles Award: Norman and Diane Hansen
• Years of Service: Arnie Sorensen, 40 years; Deb Webster and Barb Sorensen, 25 years; 20 Years: Jason Hoover and James Reed; 10 Years, Leroy Hoover; 5 Years: Tabitha Youngman and Debra Westfall.
Joyce Vedder presented checks for $1500 to the fire department and the first responders from proceeds from events held by the auxiliary.