The Dundee Village Board has adopted a budget for the 2018-2019 fiscal year that reflects a total increase in the property tax levy of $13,418, which falls within the 2.35 percent state mandated tax cap, according to Mayor Fred Cratsley Jr.
When the tax bills arrive in the mail, owners of property valued at $100,000 will pay an additional $31.
The budget includes funds to pave .67 miles of streets on Garfield, Edwina, and Saunders Street as well as repairs on Water Street. That work is in addition to the streetscape improvements that will include porous pavement, bio-retention bumpouts, and trees on Water and Main Streets, which is being funded by a $1.325 million grant. The village will provide $147,222 in in kind services for the streetscape project.
The budget also includes:
• New maintenance shop on Spring Street, a $240,250 project. Cratsley says the additional $13,418 will help pay for the new shop and to update security cameras.
• Sidewalk replacements around the village
• $3,600 for Historical Society administrative costs
• $4,000 for Historical Society building maintenance
• An increase in water use rate from $6.30 per 1,000 gallons to $6.60 per 1,000 gallons. Cratsley says many of the main line valves need to be replaced. This increase will result in a household using 20,000 gallons of water per quarter seeing an increase of $24 or $2 per month. There are no changes to the sewer rates.
The Public Works Department will continue the manhole repair project at a total of $130,000. Cratsley says the sewer infiltration rate is up 6 percent from last year, so village officials will continue to investigate inflow and infiltration of stormwater into the sewer system. The village received a $30,000 grant for the study, which will include identifying properties where sump pumps are connected to the sewer. Homeowners will be asked to disconnect the sump pumps from that system.
• A $10,000 increase in funds for Fire Department equipment to $30,000, and an additional $10,000 to the Fire Department Equipment Reserve fund, up to $116,335.