PENN YAN – Flu season is right around the corner! Protect yourself, your family, and your community by getting vaccinated. “The very best thing you can do to prevent getting the flu is to get a flu shot,” said Yates County Public Health Director, Sara Christensen, “An annual flu shot is recommended for almost everyone 6 months and older. It is one of the best ways to reduce flu illnesses, hospitalizations and death from flu.”
This fall, Rite-Aid pharmacy will be hosting public flu vaccination clinics. All clinics will be held at the Yates County Office Building Auditorium located at 417 Liberty Street Penn Yan, NY 14527 (same building as the DMV). Rite-Aid can only vaccinate individuals 3-years-old and up.
• Thursday, Sept. 27 – 10 – 11:30 a.m. and 1 – 2:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, Oct. 12 – 10 – 11:30 a.m. and 1 – 2:30 p.m.
• Monday, Oct. 17 – 10 – 11:30 a.m. and 1 – 2:30 p.m. Getting your flu shot earlier in the season gives your immune system time to build up protection before being exposed to circulating flu viruses. If you are unable to attend a public flu clinic, check with your doctor or pharmacist, or if you have little to no health insurance Yates County Public Health may be able to give you a flu shot.
Benefits of flu vaccination:
• Can keep you from getting sick with flu
• May reduce severe illness for people who got the vaccine but still get sick with flu
• Can reduce the risk of hospitalization
• An important tool for people with certain chronic health conditions
• Protects pregnant people during and after pregnancy
• May also protect the people around you In addition to the flu shot, other important steps to take to prevent the flu are washing your hands frequently with soap and water or alcohol- based rubs, covering your coughs and sneezes, and staying home when you are sick. For more information visit www.yatescountypublichealth. org, find us on social media, or give us a call at 315-536-5160. Don’t forget to get your COVID-19 vaccine this year as well