Gas dripping on light ignites, burns man, and damages shop and sales office

Preston Brown, 29, of Branchport, is listed in satisfactory condition at Strong Memorial Hospital after sustaining burns on his stomach, chest, and neck from a vehicle fire at Bailey’s Good Car Center on State Rte. 14A south of Penn Yan April 9.

According to a witness at the scene, Brown was working on a car in the repair shop of the building when gas leaked from the car’s fuel tank onto the bulb in a work light, and ignited.

Penn Yan Fire Department was called to the scene where the vehicle fire continued inside the shop. Dundee, Benton, and Branchport/Keuka Park Fire Departments also responded.

Brown was transported to Strong Memorial Hospital by Mercy Flight after being treated at the scene by Medic 55 and Penn Yan Area Volunteer Ambulance personnel.

Two other people who were in the building, Jerry Taft and Rachel Wood, escaped the structure.
According to the Yates County Sheriff’s Office, the sales office and shop area of the building sustained smoke and fire damage.

The Yates County Fire Investigation team is investigating.