A Barrington man is dead from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot injury following a stand-off at a Bossard Road residence that lasted several hours Oct. 29.

The name of the deceased is not being released, pending positive identification and notification of relatives.

Yates County Sheriff Ron Spike says the incident near the Schuyler County border began early Monday morning after Yates County Deputies attempted to execute an arrest warrant that had been issued by a Chemung County judge.

Spike says Monday’s attempt was the local law enforcement’s second effort to take the individual into custody.

Spike says Yates County Deputies received an order to execute a Supreme Court Arrest Warrant for failure to comply with psychiatric treatment. The order, issued by Judge Richard Rich of Chemung County, stemmed from an indictment in Chemung County Court. The individual, who had firearms and was barricaded in his residence, had failed to appear in court. Negotiations with the man for a peaceful surrender initiated by a Yates County Investigator at 7 a.m. were unsuccessful.

There were no other individuals in the home where officials believe the man lived alone following the recent death of a close relative.

At Spike’s request, Ontario County Sheriff’s Office (OCSO) Emergency Response Team and the FBI responded, and Ontario County deputies were sworn in as Emergency Deputies for Yates County. A command post was established at the Six Corners area near the county line.

At about 2:30 p.m., officers forcibly breached the barricaded door with special FBI equipment, and officers searched the house with assistance of a robot.  Spike says it appears the man had set up elements to start a gasoline fire which spread rapidly, driving the ERT members out of the house.

The Dundee Fire Department, with mutual aid from Himrod and Tyrone responded, and while being guarded by ERT deputies, extinguished the fire. Other fire departments from Penn Yan and Wayne also responded with support from Watkins Glen.

Officers discovered the deceased man with a gun in its hands in a bedroom at 4:15 p.m., and the preliminary investigation appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot injury.

Yates County Coroner Brian Champlain responded, and the body was transported to the Monroe County Medical Examiner for autopsy to determine the cause of death.

The cause of the fire will be determined by the Yates County Fire Investigation Team and the Dundee Fire Dept.

Spike thanks all law enforcement for their professionalism and assistance, and additionally all first responders, Yates County Office of Emergency Management, Medic 55, and Dundee fire fighters.