On Jan. 1, 2019, Yates County Local Law #1-18 took effect prohibiting use of the following substances on county-owned property, including county-owned vehicles, walkways, and parking lots:
• No tobacco use from cigarettes, cigars, chew, or pipes
• No liquid nicotine in E-cigarettes/vaping, JUULS, or any other nicotine-delivery devices
• Local Law #1-18 does not require anyone who uses tobacco products to quit; using these products is just not allowed on County properties.
Also, the law does not prohibit products like nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, or nasal spray that are prescribed treatments for nicotine cessation purposes.
• Anyone interested in quitting tobacco /or nicotine products, is encouraged to talk with:
• Tobacco Cessation Specialist at Yates County Public Health at 315-536-5160
• New York State Smokers’ Quitline Counselor at 1-866-697-8487 (1-866-NY-QUITS)
• American Cancer Society’s “Quit For Life” Program at 1-866-784-8454
• Excellus Blue Cross program / or your own health insurance carrier
• American Lung Association’s Quitline at: https://www.lung.org/support-and- community/lung-helpline-and-tobacco-quitline/
• Your health care provider / physician
If you have questions or need clarification, contact Yates County Public Health at 315-536-5160.