Friday night stock car racing has been a fixture of the Dundee Community since the mid 1950s and continues to this day. They were still racing horses in the 1950s, but in June 1957, cars took to the track. 

From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, the Dundee Area Historical Society and Our Town Rocks will host an event to be held in the Seneca Street Park adjacent to the Dundee Historical Society Museum, Seneca Street. 

Up to 10 cars representing many of the decades of Dundee Stock Car Racing will be on display, along with tables full of memorabilia and pictures of cars, drivers and crews from the 1960s to the 1990s. The museum will be open and will offer films from local drivers from the 80s and 90s. Hot dogs and refreshments will be available.

The Horses

What is now known as Outlaw Speedway was originally the track used for events during the Dundee Fair. Trotters and pacers made their way around the oval in the early 1900s. In 1924, the Dundee Fair Association offered $1,700 in race purses. 

In 1928, a new track record was established by Billy McKinney, owned by W. J. McCormick of Ithaca at 2:13 1/2. 

The Horsepower

Over 1,000 fans attended the first stock car race at the Dundee Fairgrounds, and witnessed Glen Reiners of Penn Yan win the 20-lap feature race. Red Beardsley of Interlaken took second and Hank Chafee of Dundee third. In all, 14 cars participated. 

Hoot Gibson of Hall was rolled by Bob White of Campbell and Hank Chafee ran into the fence which led to a second start. Two minor accidents occurred prior to the feature. Dick Smith of Dundee rolled over on the far turn and suffered a leg injury, and Jack Rocwel of Elmira took out a section of the new guard fence during the consolation race.

Leasing the track from the Dundee Fair Board, the Dundee Speedway Club operated it until Lin Hough became the first private owner in 1995, continuing dirt track action until 2005. Hough sold the track to Dean Hoag, son of local racing legend Dutch Hoag, and he owned the track for the next nine years. 

In February of 2016, Tyler Siri, of Horse-heads, announced the purchase of Black Rock Speedway and with the purchase, Siri announced several changes, including the new name, Outlaw Speedway.