A large, Victorian-Italianate house undergoing renovation was badly damaged in a fire Friday, Jan. 3 in Benton.


First responders were called out at 2:38 p.m. to the house at 1240 Rte. 14A in Benton, owned by Jeremiah Nielsen of Liberty St., Penn Yan. Currently unoccupied during construction, the house showed heavy smoke and flames coming from the attic and eaves. Volunteer Fire Departments from Benton, Bellona, Branchport-Keuka Park, Dresden, Himrod, Penn Yan, Middlesex, and Rushville responded to fight the fire, with assistance from Dundee, Naples, and West Lake Road Fire Depts. as well as Penn Yan Volunteer Ambulance Corps and Yates County Emergency Management.


The cause of the fire was determined to be the malfunction of a wood furnace. The old house suffered heavy fire and water damage throughout.