SENECA LAKE — The search for 27-year-old Daniel Manganaro of Horseheads continued Tuesday, April 21 on Seneca Lake.

Manganaro and a friend, Keith Seymore, also 27 of Horseheads, set out in a canoe from a seasonal cottage at Ross Point, north of Plum Point, in the town of Milo on the western side of Seneca Lake Sunday evening about 6:30 p.m. It was the second time that day that they attempted to cross the 2-mile lake and return. The first time, they were successful. This trip would be different.

About five and a half hours later, Seymore, suffering from hypothermia, was pulled from the partially submerged canoe in 583 feet of 40 degree water, according to Yates County Sheriff Ron Spike, who had the task of declaring the search had converted to a recovery effort Tuesday.

Yates County rescuers were called at 9:14 p.m. Sunday when the men were reported missing.

A command post was established at Severne Point on Seneca Lake near Himrod.

Yates County Sheriff’s Marine Patrol, Himrod Fire Dept. and Yates Coounty Emergency Management all responded. An Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office helicopter assisted in the nighttime search.

At 11:59 p.m. Sunday night the crew of that helicopter spotted Seymore in the canoe as they turned their aircraft around to return home because they were low on fuel. Their spotlight illuminated the man clinging to the submerged canoe just seconds before they would abandon the search.

Within minutes a Yates County Marine Patrol boat responded and pulled Seymore, suffering from hypothermia, from the water. He was taken to a waiting ambulance at Severne Point, then to the Himrod Fire Dept., and was airlifted from there by Lifenet medical helicopter to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester. He later told investigators he thought he was waiting for rescuers for a few hours. According to Spike, Seymore said the canoe had capsized and the two men attempted to right it — a difficult, nearly impossible task in such deep water. The men were not wearing personal flotation devices.

The search for Manganaro continued Monday and Tuesday along both shorelines. Sheriff’s Marine patrols from Yates and Seneca Counties, multiple Fire Departments, New York State Police Marine, and Sheriff’s Dept. drones from both counties are assisting in the search. A New York State Police helicopter that assisted the search Monday was not able to fly Tuesday because of poor weather conditions.

Spike acknowledged Tuesday morning that the recovery operation was being conducted at the mercy of the weather, and the effort would continue on a day-to-day basis.

"It is disheartening to recognize that this is now a search and recovery mission," said Spike Tuesday, "We extend our thoughts and prayers to his family and friends as we will continue to search tomorrow, April 22 with marine patrols and the State Police underwater recover team will return Thursday April 23 for scanning deeper water."

At about 10:30 a.m. Monday, the State Police helicopter located a paddle and personal floatation device near the eastern shore of the lake far south of where the men left for their trip, expanding the broad area to be covered in the search.

A previous version of this article misspelled Daniel Manganaro’s name.