Scots fall to Finney in homecoming game; Mustangs prep for upcoming homecoming game.

Eight man football made its debut Saturday afternoon on the field at Dundee Central School. In a first for the school, Dundee hosted The Charles Finney School, losing 42-34 in an offensive-laden contest.

Dundee has chosen to go the 8-man route because of falling enrollment, so the fans were treated to a different brand of football.

“I spoke to many of the Dundee faithful that have been fans for decades,” said head coach Sheldon Gibson. “The overwhelming notion was that they enjoyed every minute of the action. Many stated after watching for only a few minutes, they forgot completely that there were only 16 players on the field instead of 22.”

It took the Scots a bit to get adjusted to the different game. Finney’s Ty Pugh, who ran the ball the bulk of the time for the team, scored on a 5-yard scamper with just 1:39 taken off the clock in the first quarter. Pugh dived through the right side of the line on the 2 point conversion to quickly make it 8-0.

After an onside kick, a strategy Finney would attempt unsuccessfully on each kickoff, Dundee ended up with the ball at their own 47-yard line. The Scots would hand the ball off to running back Josh Cramer, who ended up with 165 yards rushing on 28 carries, until a 3rd down and 2 on Finney’s 32. Kenny Empson would get the ball, gaining one more yard for 4th and 1 on the 31. Quarterback Brady Richardson, who rushed for 125 yards of his own on the afternoon, kept the ball, ending up at the 16 yard line for a Scots’ first down. After another Empson carry, Richardson would sweep to the right side, shedding tacklers and crossing the goal line to make it 8-6. Gabe Kirkendall took a pitch to the right side in for the two point conversion and tying the score at 8 points apiece.

It was the beginning of a game that would see several lead changes and plenty of offense.

“We seem to be adapting quickly to this new brand of football,” explained Gibson. “It mirrors traditional 11 man football in almost every respect.”

The game went back and forth as the teams traded scores for the remainder of the half with the Scots in the lead 28-22 at halftime. Dundee had a shot to put up one more score as time wound down. Finney went for it on a 4th down and 4 but Empson and Zack Neu tackled the quarterback, resulting in a turnover on downs and giving Dundee the ball with 33.4 seconds remaining.

After a couple quick plays and timeouts, Dundee had the ball on Finney’s 14 yard line with 5.9 seconds left. A pitch to Cramer didn’t find the endzone, however, and time expired.

The second half began with Dundee’s uniforms noticeably darker from all the sweat on what was a hot day. The Scots received the ball but turned it over quickly as Richardson was intercepted just a minute into the half. Five plays later, Puch took a pitch 39 yards for the score. Finney would connect on a pass for the conversion and retake the lead 30-28.

After the ensuing kickoff, Richardson fumbled and Finney recovered and drove Dundee’s 5 yard line. Dundee’s defense stiffened on three straight plays as Empson and Tate Hoyt led the way and Finney turned the ball over on downs. Dundee drove most of the field until another fumble by Richardson, this time on the snap, gave Finney the ball on their own 17. The score would remain 30-28 at the end of three quarters.

“After watching film, our Dundee team will address our basic football mistakes such as lack of security, more effective tackling, and we will adjust our angles of pursuit on defense,” said Gibson.

Dundee could have retaken the lead early in the fourth quarter as Richardson found Empson in the endzone, but the ball was dropped. Finney made it 36-28 on another long Pugh run with 8:38 remaining the final quarter.

The Scots weren’t through, however, as an Empson touchdown made it 36-34 with 6:42 left. Finney answered, though, less than a minute later to make it 42-34. Dundee was driving in the final seconds when Cramer lost a fumble, sealing the game for Finney.

Even though the team lost, Gibson saw positives out of his new quarterback.

“Richardson had a great debut at the quarterback position, scoring two touchdowns on the run and two more in the air,” he said.

In addition to his outstanding offensive game, Cramer led the way on defense with 16 tackles. Dundee faces Holley Central away this Friday at 7 p.m.

Attica 48 Penn Yan 0

The Penn Yan football team was defeated by Attica last Friday, 48-0.

Quarterback Kyle Berna went 14-for-26 through the air with 196 yards passing and 3 interceptions. Backup Alex Foster was 1-for-2 for 7 yards.

Kyler Lloyd led the Mustangs in receptions with 6 and receiving yards with 91. Brennan Prather had 3 catches for 74 yards, Mekhi Mahan caught five balls for 36 yards, and Damien Snyder had a catch for 13 yards.

Mahan led the defense with 13 tackles. Damien Miller had 8 tackles, and Snyder managed 5 tackles. Penn Yan faces Letchworth/Warsaw at home this Saturday at 1 p.m.

Haverling 43 Marcus Whitman 22

The Marcus Whitman Football team lost to Haverling over the weekend 43-22.

The Wildcats were the first to get on the board, scoring with 5:45 left in the first quarter on a Seth Benedict pass to Justin Smith for 30 yards. The two point conversion fell short, leaving the score 6-0. Haverling scored with 1:59 remaining in the quarter and tacked on the conversion to make it 8-6, but Whitman came back as Austin Smith took a 4 yard run into the endzone with 1:29 left in the quarter. Benedict then connected on a pass to Jacob Penn for another 2 points, giving the Wildcats a 14-8 lead.

The game was mostly Haverling from that point on as they rattled off five straight scores. Whitman scored with 7:17 left in the fourth quarter as Austin Smith ran for a 2 yard touchdown.

The team plays at Waterloo Friday night at 7 p.m.