Wes Ryder Substation to be dedicated Aug. 25
On Monday, Aug. 25, the St. John’s Substation in Penn Yan will be renamed the Wesley G. Ryder Substation and will be dedicated to the man who played a major role in managing the electric utility system for the Village of Penn Yan from 1975 to 1990.
Those who knew Wes Ryder are welcome to attend the unveiling of the bronze plaque at 10 a.m. at the St. John’s Substation, located on the Sherman Street Extension in Penn Yan.
Ryder was bom in 1933 and served with the United States Army during the Korean War. He attended Dundee Central School and graduated from Penn Yan Academy in 1952. He and his wife, Judy, have five children. Ryder passed away Oct. 26, 2005.
He started working for the Village of Penn Yan in August 1952 and worked as a groundman/lineman until 1962. He left employment with the village for two years, returning in 1964. He then worked his way up from lineman to line foreman to utilities operations supervisor and was appointed utilities manager in February 1975. He served in that capacity until he retired in June 1990.
He was past president of the MEUA (Municipal Electric Utilities Association), past president of the Finger Lakes Waterworks Association, and past member of the American Public Power Association. He was also a member of the Penn Yan Fire Department Sheldon Hose Company.
In 1984, he received the Quarter-Century Certificate of Public Service from the New York State Conference of Mayors in recognition of his more than twenty-five years of public service.
Ryder’s nephew, Jefrey Bodine, has followed in his uncle’s footsteps; as the municipal utilities electric crew chief for the Village of Penn Yan.