$250 recovery payments to Social Security and SSI beneficiaries are coming

Staff Writer
The Chronicle Express

The federal government will send out $250 economic recovery payments to people who receive Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits beginning in early May 2009 and continuing throughout the month.  No action is required to get the payment, which will be sent separately from the person's regular monthly payment.

"Our seniors need our support during this recession and we are here to help," said Congressman Eric Massa. "I don't know a single retired American that hasn't felt the pain of this recession and we have an obligation to help them through this turbulent time. The Recovery Package created the largest tax cut in American history and this is one more program in it designed to help return money to the pockets of working Americans."

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides for a one-time payment of $250 to adult Social Security beneficiaries, and to SSI recipients, except those receiving Medicaid in care facilities.  To receive the payment the individual must be eligible for Social Security or SSI during the months of November 2008, December 2008 or January 2009.

The legislation also provides for a one-time payment to Veterans Affairs (VA) and Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) beneficiaries.  The VA and RRB will be responsible for paying individuals under their respective programs.  However, if someone receives Social Security and SSI, VA or RRB benefits, he or she will receive only one $250 payment.  People getting Social Security or SSI should not contact the agency unless a payment is not received by June 4, 2009.

For more detailed information about the $250 one-time economic recovery payments, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/payment.

To learn more about the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, go to www.recovery.gov.