All's Fair in Yates County this week
The 177th Yates County Fair opened Tuesday, and runs through Saturday at the fairgrounds south of Penn Yan on Old Rte. 14A. This year’s $10 admission covers parking, musical entertainment and grandstand events for five days, the daily Circus acts, and all midway rides.
• Tuesday was Senior Citizens’ Day, sponsored by Water St. Pharmacy, with 1/2 price admission for those over 63.
• Wednesday is Humane Society Day, sponsored by Ted’s Electrical, with a chance for a $100 prize for each person who donates a can of cat or dog food.
• Thursday is Milly’s Pantry Day, sponsored by Stever Hill Vineyards, with a chance for a $100 prize for each person who donates a non-perishable food item.
• Friday is EMS & Law Enforcement Day, sponsored by Wright Insurance, with free admission for all EMS and police who show their badge at the gate.
• Saturday is Armed Forces Day, sponsored by Nielson’s Sales, with free admission for all active duty military personnel.
The Yates County Fair features fun daily youth events and a wide range of midway rides and booths for all to enjoy. The 4-H barns and exhibition hall have all the displays of the agricultural projects, animals, domestic arts, and art. Ribbons and prize money are the reward for all their efforts, in appreciation for their hard work, as well as the chance to go on to the N.Y. State Fair later this summer.
In addition to fair favorite events like Saturday’s Main Demolition Derby, there is the Fearless Flores Family Circus daily, Thursday’s Farm Tractor Pull, and Outlaw Truck Pull Friday evening.
Musical entertainment each night from 8 p.m. to midnight includes Creekside Entertainment Wednesday, Virgil Caine Thursday, Agonal Rhythm Friday, and Ruby Shooz Saturday.
This year’s Fair is dedicated to the late Lawrence McMinn and John Hines, longtime supporters of the Yates County Agricultural Society.