Recent drug busts net seven in the Penn Yan area
Seven people face a variety of criminal charges related to drug possession and sales following a joint investigation conducted by the Penn Yan Police Department and Yates County Sheriff’s Department.
The investigation also led to the Ontario County Sheriff’s Department arrest of a Geneva man, Tommy Mazzocchi, who Penn Yan Police Chief Gene Mitchell says is allegedly a regular supplier of powdered cocaine to Penn Yan area residents.
Mitchell, who released the information about the arrests which date back to September says they were all connected to one investigation. He says this is the highest number of arrests he recalls in the past 18 years that are tied to one investigation.
The arrests include:
• Ryan Scouten, 32, 100 McKinley Ave., Apt. 104, Penn Yan, who was arrested Jan. 13. He was charged with third degree criminal sale of a controlled substance, a Class B Felony. He was arraigned in Yates County Court and committed on $5,000 cash, $10,000 bail bond. He allegedly sold cocaine to a police agent in Penn Yan in December.
• Karlton W. Pierce, 18, 131 Lincoln Ave., Penn Yan, charged with two counts of third degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and two counts of third degree criminal sale of a controlled substance. He was arrested Oct. 19, 2007 and is being held on $5,000 cash bail. He allegedly possessed and sold cocaine to a police agent in Penn Yan in September.
• Justin W. Robinson, 19, of 3963 Route 364, Penn Yan, charged with second degree criminal possession of a forged instrument and unlawful possession of marijuana. He was charged Sept. 17, 2007 and is being held on $1,000 cash bail. He allegedly stole checks from a relative, forged them and used the proceeds toward the purchase of cocaine and marijuana.
• Amber Simpson, 19, 131 Lincoln Ave., Penn Yan, charged with fourth degree conspiracy and criminal facilitation. She allegedly assisted Robinson in obtaining the stolen checks and agreed with Robinson to engage in conduct that constituted a class B felony. She was arraigned and released on $1,000 cash bail. She was arrested on Nov. 20, 2007.
• Jacob Gottshall, 18, of 94 Seneca St., Dresden, charged with fourth degree criminal sale of marijuana, a class A misdemeanor. He allegedly sold marijuana to a youth in Penn Yan on Aug. 22, 2007 at the Keuka Outlet Boat Launch. He was arrested on Nov. 20, 2007 and was released to appear in village court.
• Nicholas W. Barton, 26, of 104 Keuka St., Apt. 1, Penn Yan, charged with fourth degree criminal sale of a controlled substance, a class C felony and fifth degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a class D felony.
He allegedly sold Hydrocodone to a police agent in Penn Yan in November, 2007. He was arrested Jan. 7, 2008 and committed on $2,500 cash or $5,000 bail bond.
Mazzocchi, 23, of 124 Pultney Street, Geneva, was charged with second degree criminal sale of a controlled substance, an AII Felony. He is being held without bail in Ontario County Jail.
He says the departments continue to share information through an informal drug task force.
The Geneva City Police Department also assisted in the investigation.