Hoyt Road Shed destroyed by fire

Gwen Chamberlain
The fire spread from the building to nearby trees.

A heat lamp for chickens is believed to be the cause of a May 28 fire at 1881 Hoyt Road in Milo.

The Penn Yan Fire Department, with mutual aid from Dundee, Benton-Bellona, Himrod and Dresden Fire Departments responded to the burning barn/shed owned by Lloyd and Rosemary Haydell.

The fire broke out about noon Monday, and thick heavy smoke could be seen for miles. The barn, owned by the Haydells, was a complete loss.

Tools and other equipment owned by John Martish which were stored in the barn were also a total loss. Two cargo trailers owned by?Martish and some of their contents were also damaged. No livestock was lost in the blaze.

The fire had engulfed the building before the fire equipment arrived.