Grant committee seeks support for recreation complex

Staff Writer
The Chronicle Express
The new box lacrosse facility at the Community Center.

Members of local youth sports organizations are again partnering with Yates Cultural & Recreation Resources, Inc., better known as Yates Community Center, to pursue a $500,000 matching grant through the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation in an effort to construct a county recreation complex.

The vision of the recreation complex includes four (4) multi-use athletic fields to be used by all youth and adult sports programs, a walking trail, playground, pavilions, and space for a complete play environment. The complex will be located at the current Yates Community Center at 467 North Main St.

One of the requirements for the grant application to be considered are letters of support from all municipalities in which the project is located. The committee has received all such letters which speak to the need of such a space in our community and county.

As a catalyst to this vision, Penn Yan Youth Lacrosse has recently constructed a new lacrosse box at the Community Center, replacing the aging box on Powell Lane. The new box hosted practices and games this past spring lacrosse season, and will be the new home of Harry and Pat Queener’s Summer Box Lacrosse program.

The grant can fund up to 50 percent of total project cost, or up to 75 percent if the project is located in a high poverty district. Yates County qualifies for the 75 percent match, leaving the Grant Committee to raise the remaining 25 percent of the project cost. This includes but is not limited to cash, donated professional services, donated supplies and materials towards the construction of the project, volunteer and equipment usage, and in kind services.

The Grant Committee is currently seeking Requests for Qualifications (RFQ) for the excavation, construction and electrical work for the project. Please visit to obtain the RFQ package.

Alicen Yonts, Grant Committee Chair and Meredyth McMichael, Co-Chair, would like feedback and comments from the public through a brief survey at /r/ZBR3VN5 to help gather information. Please add detailed comments.

“Every response is important to show the state how needed these facilities are in Yates County!” says Yonts.