Letter to the Editor: A note of thanks
This morning, Friday, Dec. 3 at 3:30 a.m., our carbon monoxide alarm sounded. A call was made to the 911 emergency alert, and within minutes a young police officer was at our door. We inquired if we could have our home checked with a carbon monoxide detector, but did not want to have the neighborhood disturbed with sirens and flashing lights if at all possible.
Members of the Penn Yan Fire Department arrived. Shortly thereafter, quietly and under the direction of Norm Koek, two young fire department members in full gear went through our home efficiently and professionally.
Fortunately, nothing was detected but a recommendation was made to replace the detector that had probably surpassed its useful life.
I would like to add that an old friend, Mayor Bob Church, was one of the first to arrive at this ungodly hour, out of concern for our welfare.
So, to all who responded, we wish to express our sincere gratitude to the Penn Yan Fire Department, the village police department and the 911 emergency dispatchers.
We are extremely fortunate to have to have such dedicated and capable individuals available to us in time of need!
Rich and Mabel Pierle