Men's Lacrosse: Wolves prevail in longest game in program history

Staff Writer
The Chronicle Express

The Keuka College Men’s Lacrosse team played into the third overtime Saturday, April 13 at SUNY Poly and prevailed 11-10 over the Wildcats in a North Eastern Athletic Conference game.

Kasey Gallina (Macedon) scored the game-winning goal on the man-up with 2:40 left in the third overtime to the Keuka College (7-3, 4-0 NEAC) victory.

The goal was the team-high fourth of the game to lead the Wolves. Mark Shattuck (Syracuse scored three and added a pair of assists, including the helper on the game-winning goal. Chris Bellanca (Hamburg) added a pair of goals and Nikoli Biljanoski (Auburn) made 14 saves in the win.

Keuka College 11 at SUNY Poly 10 – 3OT

The Wolves took the lead 1:34 into the game on Saturday with a goal by Kasey Gallina, but the Wildcats took advantage of Keuka College penalties. SUNY Poly scored three man-up goals and led 3-1 after the first quarter.

The second quarter was all Keuka as a Mark Shattuck tally was sandwiched by a pair of Chris Bellanca goals. The Wolves held SUNY Poly without a shot on goal in the frame and led 4-3 at the half.

The hosts scored the first two goals of the second half as SUNY Poly took a 5-4 lead. The two teams would trade goals the rest of the third quarter as Keuka could tie the game three times, but SUNY Poly would answer. The Wildcats netted the final goal of the quarter with 18 seconds left to carry an 8-7 advantage into the fourth.

The pattern would follow in the fourth as Keuka tied the game, but SUNY Poly regained the lead a minute later. The game would go to the final minutes as the Wolves tied the game at 9-9 with 3:26 left to play. Keuka then took the lead 37 seconds later on a Kasey Gallina goal. However, SUNY Poly scored with 1:15 left to tie the game at 10-10. The Wildcats won the faceoff and had a chance to win it, but Nikoli Biljanoski made a save with one second left to send the contest to overtime.

Keuka College outshot SUNY Poly 2-1 in the first overtime, but both of their efforts were stopped. The Wildcats missed the target on their only shot and the game would go to a second overtime.

It would be SUNY Poly with the shot advantage in the second overtime, 4-2, but the Wildcats only put one on frame with Biljanoski making the save. At the other end of the field, both of Keuka’s shots were on target, but were saved as the game went to the third overtime period for the first time in program history.

SUNY Poly won the opening faceoff of the third overtime, but Keuka regained possession as Marco Carney (Endicott) caused a turnover. Keuka College went on the man-up following an illegal body check by SUNY Poly and the Wolves took advantage. 19 seconds into the advantage, Mark Shattuck set up Kasey Gallina for the game-winning goal as the Wolves won the NEAC game 11-10 over SUNY Poly in three overtimes.

Keuka College improves to 12-1 all-time against SUNY Poly

Saturday was the longest game in program history and only the third to go past a single overtime

The Wolves have now won four straight overtime games. Saturday was the first overtime game for Keuka College since the 2014 season. The Green and Gold played in three that season, winning them all

Nikoli Biljanoski won the eighth game of his career, moving to seventh on the Keuka College Career Wins list

The Wolves play their final road game of the regular season next Wednesday as Keuka College travels to Cazenovia College to face the Wildcats. The Green and Gold defeated Cazenovia 15-14 at the Jephson Community Athletic Complex last season.